2017-2018 USC Lancaster Bulletin (Archived Copy) [Archived Catalog]
James A. Carson, Ph.D., Chair
The mission of the Department of Exercise Science is to expand and disseminate the body of knowledge concerning the relationship between exercise participation and human health.
Programs of Study
The undergraduate program leading to a Bachelor of Science degree with a major in exercise science is a science-based program designed primarily to prepare students for entry into post-baccalaureate/graduate programs in health-related fields. A departmental core curriculum provides comprehensive mastery of exercise science.
New freshmen who meet University admissions standards are eligible for admission to the degree program offered by the Department of Exercise Science. Transfer admission requires department approval as well as prerequisites.
- Students enrolled in other colleges on the Columbia campus must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75 and must have at least 12 USC credit hours.
- Students from other USC campuses must have a cumulative GPA of 2.75 and must have taken at least 12 USC credit hours. Additionally, students from other USC campuses who have fewer than 30 semester hours must also meet Columbia campus freshman admission requirements.
- Transfer students from regionally accredited institutions must present a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75 on all college work taken. Students who have fewer than 30 semester hours of college work must also meet Columbia campus freshman admission requirements.
Retention and Progression Standards
- If the semester, yearly, or cumulative grade point average of a student is below 2.00, the student will be notified in writing.
- An exercise science major must receive a grade of C or higher in any course in order for it to serve as a prerequisite.
- A student in exercise science must earn a grade of C or higher in all EXSC departmental course work (EXSC) and in required cognates.
- An exercise science major may attempt an EXSC course and any prerequisites a maximum of two times to fulfill the requirement. A grade of W will be included as an attempt.
- An exercise science major may repeat a maximum of three EXSC courses.
Students enrolled in the Department of Exercise Science are subject to attendance regulations of the University described elsewhere in the bulletin. When a student enrolls in a particular course, the student is obligated for all the work which may be assigned. Punctual and regular attendance is vital to the discharge of this obligation. The student is responsible for all assigned work in a course, and absences, excused or not, do not absolve the student of this responsibility.
Students majoring in Exercise Science may pursue minors offered by other units. In completing a minor, students may apply advisor-approved courses to both the minor and cognate, or elective requirements.
Programs and Courses