2015-2016 USC Lancaster Bulletin (Archived Copy) [Archived Catalog]
Interdisciplinary Studies, B.A.I.S. (College of Hospitality, Retail, and Sport Management)
- Students will demonstrate the ability to initiate independent, interdisciplinary inquiry.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to apply critical thinking to interdisciplinary problems.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to conduct independent research by completing a final research paper.
Degree Requirements (120 Hours) (36 Major Hours)
Each student must work with a B.A.I.S. advisor to design an individualized program of study. The program of study must include at least 36 hours of 300-level USC course work and conform to all general University academic regulations for the baccalaureate degree. The B.A.I.S. requires a minimum of 120 approved hours to graduate.
A minimum of 30 USC hours must be earned after acceptance into the B.A.I.S. program.
Subject to University and departmental policy, students may apply credits earned through independent study toward the B.A.I.S. degree. Up to 60 semester hours earned in an accredited associate degree program may be accepted toward fulfillment of B.A.I.S. requirements. University policy also permits up to 30 semester hours earned in correspondence, telecommunications, service schools, and off-campus extension classes to be accepted in partial fulfillment of baccalaureate degree requirements.
Upon application to the College of Hospitality, Retail, and Sport Management, a student who has completed 90 hours or more of undergraduate work at the University of South Carolina, and/or another accredited institution, and has completed, as required by the BAIS program, the last 30 hours in residence at the University, with a minimum grade point average of 2.00 will be granted the baccalaureate degree in interdisciplinary studies provided that:
- The applicant has satisfied all graduation requirements for the B.A.I.S. degree at USC, except for the final 30 hours.
- The applicant has not applied these USC credits to obtaining a baccalaureate degree from another institution.
- The applicant submits an official transcript from an accredited medical or dental school demonstrating satisfactory completion of the first year of study leading to a postbaccalaureate degree.
- The dean of the College of Hospitality, Retail, and Sport Management certifies that the requirements prescribed for the degree have been met.
Students enrolled in the University of South Carolina should contact the dean of the College of Hospitality, Retail, and Sport Management if they plan to leave the University prior to completion of a baccalaureate program to enter an accredited medical or dental school.
Interdisciplinary Studies majors may pursue a minor in any course of study offered by the College of Hospitality, Retail and Sport Management (HRSM) as well as any other University program with an approved minor. College of HRSM required courses may not be counted toward a minor.
- Carolina Core Houes (31-46 Hours)
- Interdisciplinary Major Hours (36 Hours)
- Required Coursework (6 Hours)
- HRSM Discipline (15 Hours)
- Secondary Discipline (15 Hours)
- Free Electives (38-53 Hours)
1. Carolina Core Plus General Education Requirements
CMW: Effective, Engaged, and Persuasive Communication: Written Component (6 hours)
ARP: Analytical Reasoning and Problem-Solving (6-8 hours)
- Two approved Carolina Core ARP courses
SCI: Scientific Literacy (7-8 hours)
- Two approved Carolina Core SCI courses, including at least one laboratory.
GFL: Global Citizenship and Multicultural Understanding: Foreign Language (0-6 Hours)
Demonstration of proficiency in a foreign language by achieving a score of 2 or higher on the foreign language placement test or by completing one foreign language course through 110 or 121.
GHS: Global Citizenship and Multicultural Understanding: Historical Thinking (3 hours)
- Any approved Carolina Core GHS course
GSS: Global Citizenship and Multicultural Understanding: Social Sciences (3 hours)
- Any approved Carolina Core GSS course
AIU: Aesthetic and Interpretive Understanding (3 hours)
- Any approved Carolina Core AIU course
CMS: Effective, Engaged, and Persuasive Communication: Spoken Component (3 Hours)
INF: Information Literacy (0-3 hours)
- Any approved overlay or stand-alone Carolina Core INF course.
VSR: Values, Ethics, and Social Responsibility (0-3 hours)
- Any approved overlay or stand-alone Carolina Core VSR course
2. The Interdisciplinary Major (36 Hours)
The major consists of a least 36 hours taken at the 300-level or above of USC course work and fifteen (15) of those credit hours must be at the 400-level or above. A minimum grade of C is required on all major courses.
A. Required Courses (6 Hours)
B. The major course work is organized in one of two approaches and this is determined by the student with the advisor's approval.
- Areas of Concentration model has at least fifteen (15) hours in each of two areas. Each course proposed must correspond to the intent of the area of concentration.
- One concentration must be from the College of Hospitality, Retail, and Sport Management and include a minimum of at least fifteen (15) credit hours.
- The other concentration is determined by the student with the advisor’s approval.
- Thematic approach, has at least ten (10) courses that correspond directly to a theme and that, when viewed collectively, will establish a minimum amount of depth in your chosen theme.
- The thematic approach must include at least fifteen (15) credit hours taken within the courses offered by the College of Hospitality, Retail, and Sport Management.
3. Free Elective Courses (38-53 hours)
The BAIS curriculum includes 38-53 hours of electives depending on how student fulfill the Carolina Core requirements. Any course in the university can be used to satisfy the elective requirement (including additional electives in the major).