2016-2017 USC Lancaster Bulletin (Archived Copy) [Archived Catalog]
Interdisciplinary Studies, B.A.I.S. (College of Hospitality, Retail, and Sport Management)
The Bachelor of Arts in Interdisciplinary Studies (BAIS) program in the College of Hospitality, Retail and Sport Management (HRSM) at the University of South Carolina is a degree program that assists students in exploring interdisciplinary fields of study. The BAIS degree provides a pathway for degree completion with a goal of creating an integrated, interdisciplinary learning environment for analyzing and resolving issues in a variety of fields.
- Students will be able to identify and/or analyze issues/problems in a chosen career field.
- Students will be able to develop logical and viable solutions to an issue/problem in a chosen career field.
- Students will be able to communication ideas, issues/problems, solutions and/or research-based information clearly.
Degree Requirements (120 Hours)
1. Curriculum Requirements
2. Carolina Core General Education Requirements
3. Interdisciplinary Major Coursework
4. Free Elective Courses
1. Curriculum Requirements (120 Hours)
- Carolina Core Hours (31-46 Hours)
- Interdisciplinary Major Hours (36 Hours)
- Required Coursework (6 Hours)
- HRSM Concentration (15 Hours)*
- Secondary Concentration (15 Hours)*
* Note: A thematic model may be chosen instead of two concentrations. More details can be found below.
- Free Electives (38-53 Hours)
Students will be initially accepted, if requirements are met, as a Pre-BAIS major. Pre-BAIS majors make take no more than 30 credit hours as a pre-major. Pre-BAIS majors must complete and submit an application to the College of HRSM for review. At this time, the applicant’s transcript and intent of study will be reviewed.
Requirements including students having previously completed at least 60 credit hours of college credit or be at least 25 years of age and having at least a USC 2.0 GPA are required.
Each student must work with a B.A.I.S. advisor to design an individualized program of study. The program of study must include at least 36 hours of 300-level USC course work and conform to all general University academic regulations for the baccalaureate degree. The B.A.I.S. requires a minimum of 120 approved hours to graduate. A minimum USC GPA of 2.0 is required for entering into and graduation from the program.
A minimum of 30 USC hours must be earned after acceptance into the B.A.I.S. program.
Subject to University and departmental policy, students may apply up to 60 semester hours earned in an accredited associate degree program toward fulfillment of B.A.I.S. requirements. All courses accepted toward fulfillment of the BAIS requirements, must be a C or better.
Interdisciplinary Studies majors may pursue a minor in any course of study offered by the College of HRSM as well as any other University program with an approved minor. College of HRSM required courses may not be counted toward a minor.
Course Grade Requirements
Students in this major must receive a C or better in the following courses.
- All College Required Courses
- All Concentration/Thematic Courses
Graduation requires a USC 2.0 GPA and meeting all other requirements provided through the degree completion program.